Monday, November 2, 2009

Question of the Week: The Beginning...

I was a Resident Assistant (RA) during college. You know, the person on each floor of the college dorm whom you either avoided like the plague or was the first person you would run to when something was wrong. During that time I learned a lot about how best to create community among a very diverse group of people. It isn't always the easiest job. Among other challenges, you're fighting the already unnatural and difficult setting of the college dorm. There's nothing quite like living in an already cold and sterile environment to really enhance the community building challenges...all those blank walls with the same door repeated down the entire hallway.

As I entered the real world and moved to Washington, DC, I learned that life can be as cold as those stark hallways and sometimes all we need is some more community...a chance to take a minute away from the go-go-go and a chance to talk, think, laugh with one another. It's my hope that you'll check back in with this blog weekly to see and participate in an old tradition to help build that community...the good 'ole QOTW, or Question of the Week. I'll post a thought/question here each week and look forward to building community from your thoughts and responses. It worked as an RA, why not with this diverse group of people as well.

To start things off, I'm going to start with the all too familiar theme of TIME. Something that no one, especially those here in DC, can never seem to have enough of. How often have you heard, "I just didn't have time to get to that?" Well this week, many of us in the country got that ever prized possession of an entire extra hour in our day. For every person who has ever said, "If only I had one more hour in the day," congratulations! Daylight Savings is upon us again and on Saturday, your day came...and went. And I'm sure you each used it to the absolute fullest, right?

So, the QOTW is: If you could "pause" the world for an alloted amount of time in which only you remained in motion, do what you wanted/needed to do and then "resumed play," how long would you need to keep everything paused? What would you do?

I look forward to your answers and thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Justin- I love this! I plan on being an avid follower...of course, unless other things get in the way...

    So anyway, to your question. I remember way back when I started college, I used to go in and talk to my advisor, and he's ask how it was going, and I'd always tell him, "ya know, it's not that there aren't enough hours in the day- it's that I don't have enough energy to use them all" I think it still stands. I mean really, if we were able to be moving every waking hour, getting things done, I really feel like there's little we couldn't do. Whenever I try to get a crazy amount of stuff done, sometime mid-afternoon I hit a wall and have to slow down. So maybe it'd be cool if at that point that I hit the wall, the world would pause with me, so I can relax, recharge, and get back to it. Maybe an hour or two, just enough time for a nap and maybe to get something to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin, great question. I find that a couple of times a day I wish that the world would stop so that I could get a good song and dance in without all of those weird people staring at me. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog idea; I love it! I guess if I could pause time, I'd want a considerable amount of time to finally start writing. I usually face too many distractions to just sit down and do it. I'm assuming I could be awake the entire time, so maybe a couple days . . . hopefully that would be enough to get me started.

    P.S. I think you need to answer your questions as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete